Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Keeping it All Under Control!


*To all of my gardening friends... don't let the weeds break you! You can do it!! Just keep weeding, mulching, hoeing, and don't lose hope! Even if there are a few (or even sometimes a lot of) weeds in your garden, veggies will still grow.*

I'm tired! It's been a long week, but we have been so productive! It only rained for about 20 minutes today, we got so much weeded. Monday we had some help weeding the Asparagus, and got it all done! I weeded and cultivated half of the potatoes. Andy weed-whacked around the greenhouses and gardens. We got most of the tomatoes strung up. I cleaned up the Kale beds. Ohh, it feels so good to get those things done. We are hoping that by the end of next week we will have all of the gardens cleaned up and under control... HA! I don't think that there is such a thing. Nature is always elbowing her way into my garden weather I invite her or not. I guess that's why I love my job so much.


I just thought I would update you all on how the Sandy River Farmers Market is going. The Tuesday market has been a success! On our best day we had 7 vendors. The Friday market is picking up as well. I would say the most we have had so far is 11 vendors. As the season progresses there will be more and more farmers showing up with their veggies and other goods. As of right you can find spring vegetables (greens, peas, radishes etc.), soap, beef and other meat, eggs, bread and other baked goods, potted flowers and vegetables, cut flowers, and sometimes pie.




This week we will have turnips, radishes, rhubarb, swiss chard (picture above), beets, beet greens, broccoli, kale, maybe peas, eggs, bread (multi-grain, anadama, cinnamon raisin, whole wheat, oatmeal), oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, blackberry rhubarb muffins (maybe), cinnamon rolls, and maybe I'll have enough time to make another cake!


Also just a reminder that STRAWBERRY SEASON IS HERE!! It's been a really horrible start to the season for the strawberry farmers because they have a gorgeous crop, but no one will pick in the rain. The berries are rotting on the plants! The first set of berries (the king berries) is the best, so go strawberry picking soon!


Thanks for reading, EAT WELL!


No comments:

Post a Comment