Monday, May 11, 2009

Rainy Day

It has been raining every day for the past... well, since the farmers market started up on May 1st. Our gardens are loving every minute of it. Not only that, but there has been a few bursts of sunshine, just enough to dry up the ground so we can walk through the gardens to check on our seedlings. Almost everything that we planted has germinated, except for some herbs. The beets in the outside garden are looking pretty good, sparse in some spots. The spinach has the first set of true leaves, and we are heading out to weed the mesclun mix as soon as I wolf down a hummus, spinach and tomato sandwich on whole wheat bread!


My next projects are to finish my herb garden, and fix up our display for the farmers market.


My herb garden is in major disrepair. It is very small, full of weeds, and needs some organization. This year, I am going to be planting thyme, rosemary, sage, tarragon, marjoram, oregano, mint (oregano and mint in a place where they can take over and I won't mind), dill, savory, lavender, basil.. and probably a few more things that I forgot. Here is a picture of a beautiful purple sage plant in my herb garden last year. I potted it up and brought in inside last fall, but there wasn't enough sunlight in our snow-cave for it to survive.

No comments:

Post a Comment